Skip to main content
Illinois Medicaid and Home Care

Illinois Medicaid Paid Caregiver Program

March 20, 2019

The Role of Illinois Medicaid and at Home Care

Indirectly, Illinois Medicaid plays a role in the process for some people to become paid caregivers. Though, the process is indirect and hands off from the role that Homecare Powered by AUAF will take in servicing your home care.

It’s important to understand that in the state of Illinois and in the case of home care agencies in Illinois, home care agencies serve as a middle ground. Homecare Powered by AUAF trains and assigns home care aides. But, assessment and coverage of a home care recipient (whether through Medicaid or other means) is determined by a CCU.

Though, this doesn’t mean any more steps in the process for you. If you are applying to be a recipient of home care, you would still apply with Homecare Powered by AUAF. Hence, it is from there that Homecare Powered by AUAF will notify a CCU about your application for home care. A representative from a CCU will come to asses your need for home care. Once your level of need is determined, you will become a client and assigned a home care aide by AUAF.

Will Medicaid Pay for In Home Care?

In a sense, yes. But this isn’t a simple yes or no answer. Simply put, all you have to do is apply to be a client with Homecare Powered by AUAF. Your need for home care will be assessed by an outside organization. Once your need is determined, you will receive home care that will be covered either by Medicaid or by another insurance agency.

Steps to Take to Become Someone’s Caregiver and Be Paid by Medicaid

This is a typical question of adults trying to understand how to become formal caregivers for their parents. Many mistakenly believe that to be paid to be a caregiver, it must be through the means of Medicaid. While Illinois Medicaid may be the means in which you are receiving coverage as a home care aide, it’s not as direct as you may think.

You will apply to be a home care aide through Homecare Powered by AUAF. Your parent will apply to be a recipient of home care. Once you are hired and have received training, and your parent has been approved through a CCU for care, you will be paired as a formally paid home care aide for your parent.

How do I get a Caregiver for Someone that Doesn’t Qualify for Illinois Medicaid?

You don’t only have to qualify or be a Medicaid recipient to receive home care. When you apply through Homecare Powered by AUAF to receive home care, you will be assessed by an outside organization(a CCU) for your eligibility. Hence, it is this outside organization that will determine if you will be covered by Medicaid or by a separate insurance agency.

All Homecare by AUAF clients are provided with caregivers. And it is a CCU that will assess your need for a caregiver.

How Do I Become a Caregiver for My Parent With Medicaid?

You can become a caregiver for your parent even in the case that they do not have medicaid. Regardless of whether they have medicaid or not, the next steps will require you to apply to be a caregiver with AUAF. Hence, it’s after the hiring and training that you will be approved. Take a look at more detailed steps about becoming a caregiver.

We Pay for Your Continued Training

Homecare Powered by AUAF offers a competitive hourly rate of $14 an hour to our caregivers. This rate is dependent upon performance. Successful performance is completion and submission of monthly task sheets and timely punch in and out.

What Are Eligibility Requirements for Receiving in Home Care? (As Determined by a CCU)

These are the general requirements as defined by the Illinois department on Aging. Though, there are always exceptions in place. So you should always apply for home care services through Homecare Powered by AUAF, and receive your assessment from a CCU before trying to determine your own eligibility.

  • 60 years old or older;
  • U.S. citizens or legal aliens;
  • Are residents of Illinois;
  • Have non-exempt assets of $17,500 or less (Your home, car, or personal furnishings are classified as exempt assets.); and
  • Have an assessed need for long term care (to be at risk for nursing facility placement as measured by the Determination of Need (DON) assessment).

If you have any questions give us a call at 773.274.9262.


Contact Request

View All Articles

Call Now! 773.274.9262