What Does the Illinois Department on Aging Do?September 19, 2022
If you are over age 60 or perhaps have an older loved one, there is a high chance that you’ve heard of the Illinois Department on Aging. While the name is recognizable, you may wonder: what does the Illinois Department on Aging do?
We are taught from a young age to respect our elders. However, elders often don’t receive the support they need to live out their golden years in comfort. They may need assistance getting to appointments or remembering to take medication, but don’t have the resources they need. In addition to these issues, approximately one in 10 Americans aged 60 and older have experienced some form of elder abuse.
At its core, the Illinois Department on Aging (or IDoA) was founded to combat these problems. Above all, they want seniors to live comfortably and safely. It is the organization’s mission to serve and advocate for older Illinoisans and their caregivers through their variety of programs and services.
What are IDoA’s programs?
IDoA’s programs serve seniors at all stages in their lives. Some services benefit older adults who require a little assistance here and there. On the other hand, others help those who require more constant care. They include these services in addition to others:
- Adult Day Service. This program is for seniors who wish to remain in the community but cannot be home alone due to physical, medical, or social impairment. This service also provides respite care for family caregivers.
- Adult Protective Services. Caseworkers conduct investigations and work with older adults in resolving issues of neglect, financial exploitation, and abuse.
- Benefit Access Program. This service offers qualifying seniors a license plate fee discount and free rides on fixed-route transit systems.
- Community Care Program. Seniors get the support they need to remain independent in their homes with the help of at-home caregivers.
- Home Care Ombudsman Program. This program helps protect the rights of those living in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities.
- Illinois Care Connections. This service provides technology to older adults who suffer from isolation and loneliness.
- Legal Assistance. Attorneys provide legal services to older adults, particularly in cases revolving around elderly needs.
- Older Adult Services. This act restructures the delivery of services to include home-based services and institutional care for seniors.
- Senior Health Insurance Program (SHIP). This is a free statewide insurance counseling service for Medicare beneficiaries and their caregivers.
Home Care Powered by AUAF is contracted by IDoA
The Community Care program is essential in bringing seniors quality care, and we are happy to be a part of that. Through our contract with IDoA, we help connect seniors who need assistance with activities of daily living to qualified caregivers.
Home Care Powered by AUAF has served the greater Chicago area as a leading provider of non-medical in-home care to seniors for nearly 30 years. Throughout their careers, our caregivers receive continued training. As a result, this makes clients confident that they are receiving the most up-to-date standards of care.
Our program also enables unpaid caregivers to receive payment for their work. They apply to be a caregiver and receive training with us. Once the senior applies, the Community Care program pairs them with their loved ones. Therefore, this situation is the best of both worlds for all involved.
If you are ready to learn more about how either of our programs can improve your quality of life, call us at 773-274-9262. Regardless of whether you are a senior who needs help or an unpaid caregiver looking for extra income, we can help.
How to Use Thanksgiving Leftovers
November 24th, 2022
What States Pay Family Caregivers?
November 18th, 2022
At-Home Eye Tests for Seniors
November 22nd, 2022
What is the Community Care Program?
November 17th, 2022
Spending a Fun Weekend with Seniors
November 21st, 2022
Lung Cancer Awareness for Seniors
November 15th, 2022
Giving Thanks to Caregivers
November 23rd, 2022
Easy Thanksgiving Décor for Seniors
November 16th, 2022
Home Care Powered by AUAF Food Pantry Donations
November 14th, 2022
Important Things Every Caregiver Should Remember
November 9th, 2022
Showing Kindness on World Kindness Day
November 11th, 2022
Style for Seniors
November 4th, 2022
Call Now! 773.274.9262